Summer Picnic Recipes to Raise the Heat
With summer underway, now is the perfect time to go out with friends and family for a picnic. From sandwiches to other tasty snacks, there are plenty of recipes you can make. Make your picnic an unforgettable one by trying these tasty recipes.
Vegan “B.L.A.T.” w/ Crispy Smoked Mushroom “Bacon”
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 4 slices of white bread
- 4 tablespoons of store-bought or homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Kosher salt
- 6 mushrooms (for Crispy Mushroom “Bacon”)
- Olive oil
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on each side of the bread slices. Preheat a heavy skillet or griddle over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add bread in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until second side is golden brown. Transfer bread to a cutting board.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Stack lettuce and tomato evenly between two slices of bread. Season tomatoes with salt.
- Cut the caps off your mushrooms and cut them into 1/4 inch slices. Toss them with olive oil and salt. Make sure to keep flipping so all sides are nice and crispy.
- Top your sandwiches with the mushroom “bacon” and avocado. Close sandwiches, cut in half, and serve.
Bacon Lettuce Cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- Cooked bacon, chopped
- Wing sauce
- Lettuce leaves
- Grape tomatoes
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Toss chopped cooked bacon in wing sauce.
- Place the bacon in lettuce leaves, and top with sliced grape tomatoes and crumbled blue cheese.
Strawberry Chicken Salad with Pecans
Prep Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 4 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 3/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups of halved strawberries, divided
- 2 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons of chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 ounce of reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (or about 1/4 cup)
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or 3 teaspoons), vinegar, honey, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Stir everything with a whisk. Add 1 cup of strawberries; toss them around to coat them. Let this stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the chicken with the remaining teaspoon of oil; sprinkle evenly with the rest of the pepper, salt, and the paprika. Coat your pan with cooking spray. Add the chicken to pan, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are done. Remove chicken from pan, and let it stand 5 for minutes. Cut across the grain into slices.
- Divide the spinach, the remaining cup of strawberries, and the onion between 2 plates. Top evenly with chicken slices and the strawberry-balsamic mixture. Top each serving with 1 1/2 tablespoons of pecans and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Lemon Crème Sandwich Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 32 thin lemon cookies
- Beat softened cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add cold heavy cream, beating until stiff peaks form. Sandwich cream between 32 thin lemon cookies (about 2 teaspoon per sandwich).
- Serious Eats (Vegan B.L.A.T.)
- Country Living (Bacon Lettuce Cups)
- MyRecipes (Strawberry Chicken Salad)
- Country Living (Lemon Cookies)
Office Peeps is proud to support workers and businesses in South Dakota. We’re an office interior design and furniture consultancy. A company that provides, services, and maintains and even custom-builds office machines. A single source for workplace supplies, including janitorial and breakroom, school supplies, and scrapbooking supplies. We are located in various South Dakota cities including, Watertown, Brookings, Huron, and Madison. Call 800.658.3541 or like us on Facebook today.